London Christmas Lights 2010


Sunday, 19 December 2010
10.00 Taxi to the station. Train on time.
1.20 Train arrived. Tube to Queensway. Hotel room not ready so we had drink in the bar.
2.50 Room ready, unpacked and settled in.
3.00 Set off for Harrods to look at the lights and the window displays. Took photos of the ice rink outside the Natural History Museum. Walked back along the edge of the park which was closed by then. So we had to walk on to Kensington Church Street to return to the hotel.
6.10 Back in our room. The temperature went down to minus 10 in central London overnight.

Monday, 20 December 2010
10.30 Set out. Walked across Kensington Gardens, Hyde Park, Green Park, St. James's Park, Parliament Square, Westminster Bridge and then the Thames Path to Tate Modern.
1.00ish The Gauguin Exhibition - 11 rooms of it. Well worth he visit.
2.40 Coffee in the 7th floor cafe - see photos. Walked to St.Paul's Underground station and caught the tube to Holborn. Tried to take it on further on the Picadilly Line but it was too crowded to even get on the triain so we gave up and walked via The British Museum to Oxford Street and along to Poland Street, Great Malborough Street and Carnaby Street which was spectacular and there was a bank of photographers with tripods and long lenses. Then Regent Strreet and the rest of Oxford Street.  Soon after we had passed Marble Arch a fox ran across Bayswater Road and into a garden behind railings where he was quite happy for me to photograph him.  Back at the hotel at 6.15

Tuesday, 21 December 2010
10.00 Left hotel and topped up our oyster cards in the Queensway underground station. Then walked the length of Hyde Park. For the first time ever found that walking along Piccadilly is walking up hill. Stopped off at The Royal Academy. Went in to Fortnum and Masons for wild sumac for Hannah, had a coffee in Cafe Nero. Then walked to Piccadilly underground station and caught the tube - nowhere near as busy today - to St Pancras (see photo of Eurostar queue). Sat around for about an hour waiting for the train. When it was open for boarding there were huge queues. People had been transferred from east coast trains which had broken down. Train grossly over crowded. Read The Independent